POSITION: Executive Assistant to Anna Deavere Smith
Employment period: ASAP – through the Pipeline Project (completed by end of
summer 2022) – and ongoing after that.
Classification: full-time, exempt
Location: New York City
Anna Deavere Smith and the Pipeline: Girls Projects:
In her acclaimed play and subsequent HBO film, Notes from the Field,
playwright/activist/actor Anna Deavere Smith examined how young people from
impoverished communities must contend with the possibility of incarceration from
very early in their lives. Continuing her investigation of juvenile justice, Anna is now turning her lens
specifically to girls and young women. She and her team will immerse themselves
in communities across the US to conduct research. The end result will be a theatre
piece, a series of essays and other creative projects that reveal how girls in
contemporary America fit into ecosystems of poverty.
This is a full-time position, based in NYC, which requires substantive travel primarily
in the U.S.. This key individual will provide comprehensive executive-level
administrative support to Anna Deavere Smith for all aspects of her “Pipeline: Girls”
project, and for all of Anna’s other projects, as they are all interwoven.
In addition to the full support leading up to an extensive research trip throughout
summer 2022, the Executive Assistant will be the primary staff support beyond the
research phase to finalize project assessments, to the archiving of the entire scope
of research materials (including digital archiving), to assist with final grant reports,
and to handle all administrative matters. This essential role requires familiarity with the work of Anna Deavere Smith.
● Support Anna Deavere Smith in all aspects of her work, both proactively
and as assigned.
● Scheduling: maintain and coordinate Anna Deavere Smith’s calendar,
meetings, and appointments; be the primary contact for and with all other
ADS schedulers, conduct research and prepare assets for speaking
engagements, facilitate and troubleshoot technical needs for Zoom meetings,
handle follow-up items (i.e. thank you notes, documenting and archiving
● Travel: arrange all air, ground, hotel accommodations and other travel
● Professional Outreach/interaction/external relations: Interface with cohorts
across a variety of professions and partnerships including organizations,
artists, intellectuals, support staff, and representatives.
● Assist at events virtual and real. Prepare fact sheets, Know Before You Go
docs, and attendee info for Anna’s review.
● Communications/Creative Support: Assist with proof-reading and
copy-editing, provide assets for the ADS website.
● Work closely with all other staff including Managing Director, General
Manager (Finance/ Bookkeeper) particularly on submission of credit card
receipts and reimbursement requests.
● Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s degree or equivalent preferred
● 3-6 years experience in a similar executive support position
● Strong written and verbal communications skills, including experience
communicating with VIPs across a wide swath of professions
● High level of proficiency with Google Suites, digital media.
● Ability to quickly learn new skills: technical and interpersonal
● Excellent Organizational skills within a fast-paced environment
● Excellent listening skills
● Excellent people skills
● Entrepreneurial spirit
● Sense of humor
● Experience working in environments of racial diversity
● Experience in special events is helpful
● Ability to travel to different locations for 2-4 weeks at a time
● Ability to work independently but also to interact and follow instruction
Traits and characteristics:
● Experience working directly with performing artists or other artists
● Dedication to the mission of social justice and equity.
● Maturity, resourcefulness, flexibility, proactiveness, the ability to juggle
● Ability to remain calm under pressure
● Strong attention-to-detail, excellent written and verbal communication
● Respectful, and a willingness to adjust to what different cultures require as
signs of respect.
● Salary competitive
● Health benefits are not part of the compensation package
● Preferred start date: January 12, 2022 or sooner
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume and any other relevant material you feel supports your
application, including writing samples to: Debbie Chinn, Managing Director:
Deadline to apply: December 15, 2021